Thursday, March 10, 2011

Carolee Wright's Memory

One cold Sunday morning a window blew open in our basement and froze a copper pipe right in front of it. My husband watched as the pipe bulged, split, and started to spray water. He quickly turned off the water. We were new to the city and home ownership we only new a few people and we didn't know what to do about the pipe.

I called my visiting teaching companion, Theresa Humphries. I knew she was a long time resident and very friendly. She suggested I call George Masson, I didn't know him well, and I was embarrassed to call some one an a Sunday, but I didn't know what else to do.

He came right over. In less than an hour cut out the split pipe and put in a new section of matching pipe. I offered to pay him, and he wouldn't take payment. I again asked if I could at least pay for the supplies he used and he wouldn't take any money.  We were very grateful for his generosity to strangers, on a very cold Sunday morning. What could have been a disaster ended up being just a small inconvenience for us. We were truly grateful for Georges, help.

No comments:

Post a Comment